Sunday, May 24, 2009

T-t-t-tacos!

About 20 days past due on Cinco de Mayo, but nevertheless, summertime food is finally in season! Things have been pretty busy around here lately, I recently purchased a new bike that actually fits me (woohoo) and I can't wait to ride it around town. Also, in a couple weeks I'm moving up to a new apartment, about 6 blocks north of where I'm at now in the Hemingway mansion. The kitchen is about 10x bigger and it actually gets natural sunlight :) so I can't wait to post some better recipes and prettier pics!

These tacos, or fajitas? I guess they're more like fajitas. But anyways, they're really not traditional with the main protein being Boca bits, topped with sauteed onions/pepps and some chunks of avocado in a spinach tortilla. I also served refried black beans on the side with some sweet potato fries. If you want, you could spread the RF beans on the tortilla and throw some of the fries into the taco. I bet it would be preetteeee good.



Ingredients:

1 3lb. bag of Boca bits (or another ground beef substitute)
1 packet of taco seasoning (I prefer La Preferida)
2-3 T olive oil
1 medium yellow onion
1 large yellow or orange bell pepper
1 ripe avocado
4-5 medium tortillas


Start by cutting the pepper and the pepper into about 1/4 in. thick slices. Sautee those in the olive oil for a few minutes, covered, until the onions are translucent. Then, follow the directions on the fake meat package, or for the Boca Bits just sautee them over med-high heat for about 1 minute then add about 3/4 c. water and the taco seasoning. Cook the Bits for about 5-7 more minutes then put a couple of spoonfuls on a tortilla. Follow with the peppers and onions then layer on some chunks of avocado! These would also be tasty with sour cream or cheese. Either way, they're pretty healthy and seriously delicioso. Espero que les gustan :P


0 comments:

Post a Comment