Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Squash, Spaghetti Squash




Greetings Earthlings

May I introduce you to my most favorite member of the squash family: Spaghetti Squash. This guy is so fancy and fulfilling. I trust he will not disappoint you either. Sometimes I am in the mood for LOTS and LOTS of pasta. While I sometimes trust my instincts, I've paid the price of carbo-loading in the form of belly bloating food coma many a time. S.S. is a lovely, not to mention satisfying, way to curb your pasta needs with no sugar overload. Now I'll 'splain my most favorite way of preparation thus far, in life.

S.S. with Sauteed Spinach and Tomatoes


makes 1 big serving or 2 side dishes
  • 1 spaghetti squash (1.5-2 lbs ish)
  • 2-3 T olive oil
  • a big handful of cherry or grape tomatoes
  • 3 cloves of garlic (pressed or minced)
  • a couple of handful of fresh spinach
  • 1/2 t dry basil
  • 1 t red pepper flakes (don't add these if you don't enjoy ze spicy)
  • salt & pepper to taste
There are a couple of ways to prepare the squash. I don't like to wait an hour for him to cook in the oven, so I prefer the microwave method. But if you're anti-microwave, you can Google how to bake them. Just poke about 10 holes in the squash with the end of a chef or paring knife. Then, place Mr. S in a microwave safe dish and nuke him for 6 minutes. Then turn it over or it will cook unevenly. **At this time you should start cooking the lil tomateys**

Cook for another 6 minutes then allow it to cool in the microwave for at least 2 minutes. Once to take it out, use a towel to hold one side as you slice it in half. Be prepared for steam mania! Once you won't get steam burns you can scrape out the seeds with a spoon then use a fork to extract the entrails! They will probably be really hot but just let them hang out on the side for a tad. This part is almost better than eating it, almost.



**Begin cooking the tomatoes in the olive oil over medium high heat. I like how they pop in your mouth when they're really hot, but many people don't like this so you can cut them in half if you please. >>Your sauce will be extra juicy if you do this. Cook for about 6 minutes then add the garlic and the spinach, cover for about 1 minute so the spinach is wilted. Add the spices and cook for additional 2-3 minutes before adding the squash strands to the pan to mix with the goodies and bring the dish together. Mix it up with some tongs or 2 forks if you're tongless.

You're now good to go! It's not the most attractive dish, so you can accompany it with a little garnish. The whole prep, eat, and clean-up time for this dish is under an hour! It's great for a lunch or casual dinner. It would be a great side dish for moussaka or eggplant parm for you non veggie pplz. Maybe it's just because I love this dish so much, but I always finish the whole thing. I hope you also love Sir Spaghetti Squash because he is all too often forgotten.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

NICE garnish

Post a Comment