Friday, April 17, 2009

Fancy Eggplant Panini



I lived off of this panini for about 6 months straight my sophomore year in college. It's J's favorite szendvics so I make it over and over but it doesn't ever let me down. The hot giardiniera is balanced by the SD tomato spread. The layering in the assembly is key, I've tried it about every possible way and this is ZZZZ Best. Also, if you don't live in Chicago and are unable to get Marconi's, I pity your soul. I supposed that any other brand will suffice, but this is what's up. To cook this SW, the easiest way is with a George Foreman Grill. But, as a poor student with a kitchen the size of a pea, I use my trusty cast-iron grill pan and a plate weighed down with a soup can on top. Works like a damn charm. Even non-veggie people have given this the seal of approval, but who really cares. Quick & ez.



Ingredients:

2 slices whole wheat bread
2-3 slices of baked eggplant (see below)
a handful of organic baby spinach
2 T Marconi's medium giardiniera
3 T sun dried tomato cream cheese (see below)

Assembly:
  • Lay down 1 bread slice and slather on some of the SD Tom spread. Then place the spinach leaves on as flat as possible.
  • Next, layer the eggplant. Follow with the giardiniera but try not to get too much of the excess oil or the 'wich shall be soggy.
  • Carefully place on the grill pan and cook on medium heat for ~3-5 minutes on each side.



Sun Dried Tomato Spread

This is quick and easy and you can use it on a number of different dishes, & obv it's wayyy yummy on bagels. Simply mix about a half tub of Toffuti better than cream cheese with about 4-5 sun dried tomatoes packed in oil. Pop them in a blender, or I use my magic bullet, until smooth. I love infomercials.

How TO: Bake an Eggplant

There is a lot of controversy over the best way to cook this magical little vegetable. This is my favorite way to do it, if you like your way better, then follow your heart. But, I'm too impatient to let it strain with salt and all that bs. Preheat your ov to 375 F. Then just wash the eggplant and slice it in about 1/2 in thick slices. Lay them out on a baking sheet and brush with a few T's of extra virgin olive oil on each side. Follow with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Next, bake for about 15 minutes on one side then flip the slices and rotate the pan so that they cook evenly. Ten minutes on the other side and they're soft, but still "meaty" per say. You can keep these in the fridge for a little less than a week and they're good for either this panini or to throw in some pasta.


0 comments:

Post a Comment